- It is a phenolic compound derived from pine bark
- The skin advantages of phenylethyl resorcinol include antioxidant and brightening effects
- It addresses uneven tone, dark places, melasma and post-zits marks
- Phenylethyl resorcinol will work by inhibiting tyrosinase activity
- It is safe and sound for skin when utilised in concentrations down below 1%
- It can be paired with most skincare actives like vitamin C
If you have fought darkish places and uneven tone, prospects are you arrived throughout an component called phenylethyl resorcinol, which also goes by Symwhite 377. In accordance to research, this tough to pronounce male is imagined to be just one of the maximum melanin suppressors used in skincare formulations, possessing skin whitening results twenty periods far more potent than kojic acid.
Even extra, this resorcinol derivative serves as the key selling pitch in lots of brightening products coming from the most notable makes like SkinMedica, La Roche-Posay, and Sesderma. Almost nothing so praiseworthy can move us by devoid of currently being observed. That’s why we scoured the world wide web and did lots of investigation to come across every thing about phenylethyl resorcinol for pores and skin, its rewards, how risk-free it is, and the very best solutions made up of it.
Intrigued? Continue to keep scrolling.
What is phenylethyl resorcinol?
Phenylethyl resorcinol, also recognised as Symwhite 377, is a white crystalline phenolic compound derived from pine bark developed to target pores and skin discoloration. As for skincare, phenylethyl resorcinol is a potent skin whitening agent that acts as an antioxidant and tyrosinase inhibitor, typically utilized to encourage a much more even-hunting complexion.
FYI, this synthetic compound is created from resorcinol (consequently the title) which is an isomer just like hydroquinone sharing the very same molecular components but a a bit distinct structure. In truth, there are pretty a several resorcinol derivatives that convey brightening and depigmenting added benefits, but phenylethyl resorcinol stands as the most researched and tolerable 1, along with butyl resorcinol.
Phenylethyl resorcinol advantages for pores and skin
Even though resorcinol on your own is far more made use of to struggle situations these types of as acne breakouts and dermatitis, phenylethyl resorcinol entered the skincare environment as a promising skin lightening agent. When topically utilized, its principal job is to lessen melanin information in cells by binding to tyrosinase and blocking the enzyme action accountable for pigment production. But the listing of added benefits goes on as phenylethyl resorcinol is also an antioxidant that allows scavenge totally free radicals and minimize pigmentation brought on by UV publicity.
Specified every little thing, phenylethyl resorcinol is an great compound to brighten your pores and skin and fade present discoloration — scientific studies advise that a concentration of .5% is as powerful as 1% kojic acid. For the record, through a single study, a cream containing phenylethyl resorcinol improved the physical appearance of uneven tone and lessened hyperpigmentation by up to 43% following a 12-7 days treatment, earning it a great alternative to hydroquinone.
Nonetheless, despite all of the previously mentioned, phenylethyl resorcinol isn’t the best ingredient to add to a skincare product or service since it has weak drinking water solubility and is incredibly prone to degradation when exposed to light-weight. The stressing section is that the lousy h2o solubility may perhaps restrict its absorption into the skin, making it considerably less helpful. But fortunately, most merchandise use encapsulation methods to boost the shipping and balance of phenylethyl resorcinol, preserving its benefits to the fullest.
Is it safe and sound?
While phenylethyl resorcinol is deemed risk-free for pores and skin, it can trigger discomfort when made use of in concentrations previously mentioned 1%. It’s also an ingredient that must be avoided all through pregnancy and breastfeeding given that there’s not sufficient analysis to ensure how it reacts in these instances.
How to use
Phenylethyl resorcinol in skincare is made use of in all sorts of products, which includes creams, toners, serums, and sunscreens, as an antioxidant and pores and skin brightener. It’s also gentle sufficient to be utilised each day as a part of your early morning and night time routines. Owing to its low solubility, resorcinol functions finest when utilized to vulnerable skin (like just after a dermaroller or chemical peel), which will allow extra resorcinol to penetrate the pores and skin.
Past but not the very least, phenylethyl resorcinol can be paired with other pores and skin-lightening actives this kind of as vitamin C, glutathione, kojic acid, retinol, and resveratrol for extra intensive brightening effects.
Items with phenylethyl resorcinol
Down below are the greatest skincare products infused with phenylethyl resorcinol that operate to boost a a lot more radiant and brighter complexion though fading dim places for a perfectly even pores and skin tone.
- Kim BS, Na YG, Choi JH, et al. The Improvement of Skin Whitening of Phenylethyl Resorcinol by Nanostructured Lipid Carriers. Nanomaterials (Basel). 20177(9):241. Revealed 2017 Aug 28. doi:10.3390/nano7090241
- Nationwide Center for Biotechnology Data (2022). PubChem Compound Summary for CID 5054, Resorcinol. Retrieved April 26, 2022 from https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Resorcinol.
- Tokudome, Y. Hoshi, T. Mori, S. Hijikuro, I. Synthesis of Resorcinol Derivatives and their Results on Melanin Generation. Cosmetics 2020, 7, 55. https://doi.org/10.3390/cosmetics7030055
- Prasetyadi Mawardi, Mardiana (2020) The Distinction of Melanin Index in Treatment of Melasma Using Non-Hydroquinone Product and Kligman’s Method. Clin Res Dermatol Open Accessibility 7(3): 1-4. DOI: 10.15226/2378-1726/7/3/001116
- Gold MH, Biron J. Efficacy of a novel hydroquinone-cost-free skin-brightening product in clients with melasma. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2011 Sep10(3):189-96. doi: 10.1111/j.1473-2165.2011.00573.x.
- Kang M, Park SH, Park SJ, Oh SW, Yoo JA, Kwon K, Kim J, Yu E, Cho JY, Lee J. p44/42 MAPK signaling is a key goal activated by phenylethyl resorcinol in its anti-melanogenic motion. Phytomedicine. 2019 May well58:152877. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2019.152877. Epub 2019 Feb 26.