If you have come this far, it is because surely you have ever wondered how to clean makeup brushes at home. That is why, at Beauty Caters, we have created this post, to help you clean your beauty tools.
But don’t worry, you have to know that depending on your beauty routine and how you organize yourself, washing your makeup brushes can be a really easy task! So let’s check how to clean makeup brushes at home!
You can also read how to make homemade hair conditioner
WHY DO WE HAVE TO CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES?
If you have already invested time in choosing the brushes that give you the best results, it would be very contradictory not to take care of them. If you don’t wash them, besides they will be unusable in a short time, they can cause serious health problems.
Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, dirty makeup brushes can cause acne breakouts and seborrhea in some areas of your face. If makeup residue lodges on your face, it can disrupt the cell renewal process.
Through these tools, viruses such as the flu or cold sores can also be transmitted. A dirty brush can harbor many bacteria, you can cause infections and conjunctivitis.
With all this we do not want to alarm you, because with the simple tricks that we present below, you will avoid all these problems and you will be able to have clean brushes and brushes always ready to use.
SO, HOW TO CLEAN YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES AT HOME?
I remember how I learned to clean makeup brushes, at first I had a hard time and I must admit that I threw away countless brushes because I didn’t know how to wash them well.
Removing makeup from the bristles is super complicated, chemical cleaners are usually expensive and not long-lasting, and many of them are unfriendly to your brushes and can ruin them, nobody wants ugly and mistreated brushes.
1. HOW TO CLEAN MAKE UP BRUSH WITH VINEGAR AND SOAP
One of my favorite secrets for cleaning makeup brushes includes a kitchen ingredient that we all have at home (if you don’t have it, don’t worry, it’s very cheap). The best thing is that it doesn’t require a lot of effort, time, or money, that’s why I love it.
Honestly, of all the things I’ve tried, cleaning it this way has been the best of the best.
Ingredients you will need:
- A glass cup
- 2 tablespoons of hand soap
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Hot water
- A small comb
- Pour the ingredients into the glass
- Mix all the ingredients perfectly
- Dip the brushes
- Let sit in the mixture for 20 minutes
- Take out the brushes one by one
- Place under running water
- Brush them with the small comb while the water falls on them
- Drain and squeeze the brushes carefully
- Let them dry
You see it? It is the best way to clean your makeup brushes using vinegar, it is very simple, cheap and your brushes will look like new. Try it!
2. HOW TO CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES WITH OLIVE OIL AND WHITE VINEGAR
Olive oil is a fantastic natural product for removing dirt from makeup brushes easily.
Vinegar, meanwhile, is rich in cleaning and antibacterial properties that will keep your brushes clean and free of germs.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- Kitchen paper towels
- Warm water, as needed
- 1 clean towel
- DIP the brushes into the oil, one at a time.
- REMOVE and rub gently on a paper towel to remove dirt and oil residue.
- DIP the brush into the white vinegar and press down on the bristles to remove more dirt.
- RINSE the brushes with warm water, drain and let dry -horizontally- on a clean towel.
- STORE until completely dry.
3. HOW TO CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES WITH SODIUM BICARBONATE
Baking soda, in addition to being famous for being part of a large number of cleaning remedies, we tell you that it has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, which makes it great for use in beauty, in this case, to clean your brushes make-up and avoid imperfections caused by dirt.
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 glass of water
- POUR the water into a large container -where your brush heads will fit.
- ADD baking soda.
- Mix until dissolved.
- SOAK brushes for 2 hours.
- REMOVE the brushes and drain and let dry -horizontally- on a clean towel.
- STORE until completely dry.
Now time to use your clean brushes! Try to repeat this procedure at least every 15 days.
4. HOW TO CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES WITH SOAP AND WATER
The oldest and Grandma Way of cleaning makeup brushes is to use soap and water. Yes, something as simple as that. Simply, we have to use soap as neutral as possible, special for brushes, or any other and warm water.
“If you have natural fiber brushes, use mild cleanser, or shampoo to clean them. Since they are delicate and expensive, these brushes will need extra care.”
It is also true that, if it is synthetic hair brushes, we can even use dishwasher soaps that remove much faster and more effectively. But in any case, do it gently.
- Hold the brush under running water to get them wet.
- Apply the soap and make circles on the palm of your hand. If you wear a cleaning glove with grooves, it will be faster.
- You can also fill a container with warm water, add the soap, and clean the brushes inside, always use circular movements.
- Remove excess moisture by drying your makeup brushes. Lay them down on a clean towel and make sure the bristles don’t get deformed.
5. HOW TO CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES WITH OIL
How to clean makeup brushes with oil at home?
Yes, we can use oil to clean makeup brushes. Specially, cleaning with oil works better with brushes for foundations or concealers. We use oil to clean makeup brushes when only soap is not enough.
We have several options, such as using olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, or similar.
It is best to pour a little of the oil on absorbent kitchen paper, or on a towel (although you have to wash it later).
Now gently make circular movement on the oil holding the bristles downwards.
Once all the residues are gone from the bristles, rinse it with soapy water.
HOW TO WASH AND DRY MAKEUP BRUSHES
When washing your makeup brushes, whatever product you use for it, you should take into account the following recommendations:
Moisten the brushes well. To do this you can place them in a container with water or directly under the tap. However, if you choose this last option, avoid putting them with the bristles up, as they would open and deform forever.
Do it with the bristles downwards, helping you with your fingers so that the cleaning product penetrates and then, so that they are well rinsed.
Once you have washed your makeup brushes, you should wait for them to dry completely before using them again.
Do not place them with the bristles facing up. If you do, not only will the weight of the water deform them, but it will also seep into the sleeve, which will deteriorate your brush over time.
Do not support them with the bristles down either, as this will also deform their bristles.
Put your brushes spread out on absorbent paper. If you want to speed up the process, place them in the sun to dry faster.
16 TIPS ON HOW TO CLEAN MAKEUP BRUSHES AT HOME
It is important to take into account all the tips to take perfect care of your brushes and prolong their durability and effectiveness. Without further ado, here are our 16 tips:
GENERAL TIPS FOR YOUR BRUSHES
1. You must separate the synthetic brushes from those made with natural materials. Synthetic brushes work better with liquids because they do not absorb them, while the latter are preferable for powder products.
2. You must know when to change your makeup brushes. A very characteristic sign that they are no longer useful is when the bristles begin to look weak and fall out.
3. When you put on makeup you should try not to mix products in them and that when you finish there are no traces of makeup left on the bristles. Because makeup residues take away their flexibility and their effectiveness is reduced. In addition to the fact, they can accumulate bacteria.
WHEN AND HOW TO WASH MAKE UP BRUSHES?
4. Brushes you use for liquid makeup base should be washed every week, the ones you use to make up your eyes and apply eye concealer every two weeks and all other types of brushes every month. This will help them not to lose movement or flexibility and that several products do not mix in them.
5. For natural fiber makeup brushes you should use mild cleansers such as a shampoo. This is enough to avoid the accumulation of bacteria. You have to always be careful that the head of the brush is not pressed down, since this causes the brittle fibers to break.
6. Synthetic brushes can be washed with bar soap or detergent. Lip brushes and foundation brushes require more attention because they contain traces of waxes and oils.
7. Each brush is washed according to its size. One of the best techniques is on the palm of the hand. Keep in mind that the larger bristles should be massaged with the brush head downwards. And the smaller ones require more care, since it is important not to bend the base of the bristles. In both cases, you should apply the massage until the water they give off looks clean.
8. There are special silicone gloves or bases for cleaning brushes that you can use during washing.
9. The water you use should be lukewarm, not hot because you could damage the glue on the bristles.
10. You can apply the soap or shampoo directly if the brush is very dirty or pour a quarter cup of water into a container and dissolve the soap or shampoo with which you will wash them.
11. When you have used your brush to apply cream cosmetics, you will have to clean them with a little oil, otherwise they will not release the accumulated makeup. One technique is to use olive or almond oil, pour it onto a piece of kitchen paper, and then brush back and forth several times. Then you should wash them like the others with soap and water.
12. There are specialized sprays and liquids for these utensils that you can apply after washing them and before you dry them.
HOW TO DRY YOUR BRUSHES?
13. For drying, you can wrap them in paper and squeeze them slowly so that the water drains off. The metal base of the brush should always be kept dry so that the glue on the base of the bristles does not come off. You can also roll them up with a towel, keeping the handle up and the bristles down.
14. It is natural that with the massage that you gave them in water, the bristles lose their shape, they can twist a little, so you must mold them to their original shape.
15. After drying them you should leave them in a place where they are ventilated and finish drying. The important thing when you do it is to place them so that the bristles are in the air without having contact with any surface.
16. Once they are completely dry, you should shake them a bit.
SHOULD MAKEUP BRUSHES BE DISINFECTED?
17. Consider disinfecting makeup brushes from time to time, maybe every month. The procedure is easy, you must create a solution of water and vinegar, two parts of water for one of vinegar in a bowl. Soak the bristles in it, then rinse it with clean water applying a gentle massage on them and then put them to dry.
SOME MAINTENANCE TIPS THAT CAN HELP YOU CLEAN YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES
1. When storing your brushes and makeup brushes you must keep them vertically with the bristles upwards or in special cases.
2. Avoid drying them with a hair dryer.
3. Wet, makeup remover or cotton tissues all work very well in this cleaning process.
4. You can use a clip for documents or hangers with clothes hooks to make them hang during drying.
5. There is also the option of buying a special machine to clean brushes, although they are very expensive.
And you, do you use any of these tips to clean your makeup brushes?
WHICH OF THESE TIPS SEEMED BEST TO YOU?
At Beauty Caters we care about knowing your opinion, and that is why we would like you to tell us what you think of our advice and if you will take it into account the next time you have to wash your makeup brushes.